Here's the recipe I have tried out.
1.5 kilograms nettle heads
800g of sugar
8 litres of water
2 lemons, Juice and rind (no pith)
half a tsp of powdered ginger
5g brewers yeast
- Wash the nettle heads and then bring to the boil in 4 litres of the water.
- Strain the mix and squeeze out the water from the nettles which will no not sting keeping all water and throwing away nettles or... give to hens if you have any. Waste not want not.
- into the water goes the sugar and mix until its dissolved.
- Add the rest of the water and then in goes the yeast and lemon
- Leave for four days
- After the four days are up, strain the mix (which should smell quite potent) through a cheesecloth (or clean tea towel) and pour into bottles. I have read that putting half a teaspoon at the bottom of the bottles will make the beer extra fizzy although I have also read that there is no point.
- Leave now for three weeks...