Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Most amazing Tarte Tatine Recipe

Ok so Ive been at it again, trying to perfect another french recipe. This time its my mother-in-laws Tarte Tatin recipe. Don't get me wrong, hers is perfectly Delicious but Ive always found it a little lacking in something. So I set out about making my own. Ive only done this a few times before and needed to impress as I had told everyone what I was going to do. Thankfully, my plan succeeded. Here's the recipe.

Ingredients
8 cooking apples (the ugly brown skinned ones are the best)
50 grams butter
Sugar to taste
Pastry (I used ready made this time as I wanted to concentrate on the apples.

Over a very low heat melt the butter and 5 tablespoons of sugar in a deep cake dish.
Peel and slice the apples into quarters and place into the dish. Taste the butter sugar mix to see if its sweet enough for your liking. If not add as you want.

Spoon over some of the butter sugar mix onto the top of the apples and then place a heavy pan lid on the top and cook for 40mins very very slowly, every now and again spooning some of the mix over the top and lightly pressing down on the lid to 'flatten' the apples.

At this point the apples should be soft but still keeping their form.

Take off the heat and roll out your pastry to half a cm thickness. place over the dish and cut off the excess pastry. Now press the edge of the pastry down to curve around the apples slightly.

Bake in the oven at 180 for 20 mins.

Serve as it is or the way I like it with vanilla icecream.

Enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment